Monday, September 23, 2013

Re-INKLINGS

In the summer of 1988 I was gifted with the opportunity of studying abroad amidst the dreaming spires of Oxford University . Wandering the streets of Oxford I came upon THE EAGLE AND CHILD PUB on St. Giles Street and re-immersed myself in all things Lewis.  The writer CS Lewis had become a touch stone for me in my college days and I brought with me my love for English literature as well as an ample Bridesheadian romanticism. What still fascinates this devotee is how a group of writers formed a circle that gave rise to a renaissance in religious thought and culture.  The writers who formed the circle that came to be known as THE INKLINGS gathered twice a week to listen to each other's work and to consider the great ideas woven throughout mythology and Christianity. Joining Lewis were JRR Tolkein of THE HOBBIT and THE LORD OF THE RINGS and Charles Williams whose ALL HALLOWS EVE  forms a perfect backdrop for THE RE-INKLINGS first gathering at THE BOOK TAVERN on the evening of October 10 at 7:00 p.m. as we begin a discussion based on C. S. Lewis's THE SCREWTAPE LETTERS. THE RE-INKLINGS will seek to echo those evenings at THE EAGLE and CHILD PUB in Oxford when wafting in the air where not only the words of these fascinating writers but an exchange of ideas that enriched the twentieth century.

No comments:

Post a Comment